Saturday, June 03, 2006

Is Apple Watching My eBay Auction?

I recently decided to sell my Apple PowerBook, so I could afford to upgrade to a new MacBook. Having bought and sold from eBay before I decided that this was the easiest way to go for selling it. After a couple of days tracking my auction I decided I wanted to see who's looking at my PowerBook and see if I could deduce who was watching it, so I installed some run-of the-mill stats code from www.statcounter.com.

After two days of traffic I checked my report today only to find that my auction had been viewed by someone at Apple Computers on the East Coast. Now I wonder, first off, whether this is actually Apple and if so do they normally view on-line auctions for their systems. If it is Apple, it would be very intersting to see if this the norm, and if it actually can tell anyone anything. Also do they take things like this into account when getting their ownership figures, or is this just purely based on sales.

Is it more likely that this is a customer in an Apple Store just seeing what was available for cheaper - presumably a drawback to having free internet access in the store!!

Anyway I wonder has anyone else ever experienced this? Well, I found it odd anyway!!

No comments: